April already… What a mind job! Since we’re into the fourth month of the year, I’ve obviously finished some stuff, so I thought I’d weigh in on what I thought was good and what wasn’t.
- Benefit Total Moisture Facial Cream (8.9g) – I bought myself a sample kit a long time ago and this was one of the products. I found this entire line was very heavily scented – not something I appreciate in skincare. I don’t feel like my skin benefited from this moisturiser at all, and it’s definitely not something I’d buy again.
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel – At the point that I finished this, I can’t remember if it was my first purchase or a repurchase, but either way, I love this stuff. I hate the idea of skincare in pots (can we just have everything packaged in an airtight pump thing?) but this stuff is magic. At least for me. It hydrates my skin, but feels lightweight and my skin felt relatively balanced when I used this. I still got oily – don’t get me wrong – but I didn’t get more oily (which is a good thing in my books!) Would definitely get this again.
- Nip + Fab Exfoliate Glycolic Fix Serum – Like the Neutrogena, I’m not sure if this was my first or second bottle of this. Obviously, repurchasing does say that you like it, but I have some thoughts after finishing up my second bottle. First bottle… It was magic on my skin. It felt and looked clearer. Second bottle felt tackier on my skin, so I used it less. I also didn’t feel like it made such a big difference to my skin second time around. Maybe this is because I used it less often due to the stickiness OR because my skin had got used to that level of glycolic acid. Who knows. I haven’t bought this again (I got this from Superdrug, so it’s a lus to buy in South Africa).
- The Body Shop Vanilla Pumpkin Shower Gel – I bought 3 of these. I think this is my first complete bottle (I’m rationing myself). This is my favourite Christmas-themed scent. The other one I like is the Vanilla (but not the Vanilla Chai) but that wasn’t available this year. I bought 3 so basically, this is heaven. Felt creamy, lathered up alright and left a delicious scent on my body, that did eventually wear off (if you’re worried about that).
- Theravine Hair Protein Cream Mask – I received this as a gift and I have to say, I really, really, REALLY liked this. I have thick curly, frizzy hair and I feel like whenever I used this, my hair felt nice and it dried really well. Would consider getting this again!
- Benefit It’s Potent Eye Cream (3g) – Did. Not. Like. It burned my undereye area and if I got it too close to a tear duct, it would burn like hell on earth. NOPE.
- Balm Balm Frankincense Deep Cleansing Balm – Another gift! I loved this and used it sparingly. You don’t need to use a lot (thankfully! Because the container is TINY!!!) and I would use it when I was stressed out due to its calming scent. I’d apply to dry, clean skin (too nice to waste it on removing makeup) and give myself a bit of a facial massage and then remove it with a warm washcloth.
- Head and Shoulders Menthol Refresh – Boring, but necessary. I am on a no sulfates kick, but when money is tight, I go back to the cheapies (this being one of them), which usually means sulfates. Also, the water is so rubbish at the moment, I find that I need something hardcore to help my scalp (it gets very dry and irritated at the moment.)
- The Body Shop Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask – Really liked this! It tingles and has bits of seaweed (I think?) in it. I did find that I would have to remove this before it completely dried, as it would dry my skin out a lot if I left it on too long. I have quite a few masks to get through right now, so I probably wouldn’t repurchase despite enjoying it.
- Tresemme Instant Refresh Radiance Dry Shampoo – I’ve had this since the beginning of time. I don’t use dry shampoo very often (only when I straighten my hair or if I’m seriously desperate) so this lasted for. freaking. ever. It was okay. I liked the scent, but I feel like it wasn’t heavy duty and sometimes you just need something that gets the job done really quickly. This wasn’t it. I replaced it with Batiste. Sorry, Tresemme!
- The Body Shop Tea Tree Cool & Creamy Wash – I’m gutted this has been discontinued. This is hands down my favourite morning cleanse (next to the Neutrogena one that was also discontinued. Sigh.)
- The Body Shop Vanilla Chai Shower Gel – I got this as a Christmas gift. Not my favourite of their vanilla Christmas scents. I wouldn’t buy this next year. Bring back your original vanilla, TBS!
- Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Night Pads Extreme – These are a repurchase BUT the last time I got this, I had the normal/non-extreme version. Honestly, I didn’t see a difference between the two, even though there is supposed to be quite a bit more glycolic in this version. Maybe my face is just too accustomed? This left a tacky layer on my skin, so I’d always have to follow up with a moisturiser to try get rid of that feeling. Won’t be getting these again. I think I may try the Loreal ones (but they’re like R400 sob.)
- The Body Shop All-in-One Instablur Eye – No. Don’t get this.
- Environ Gentle Cream Cleanser – I was looking for something new, and specially a new cream cleanser. Those are my favourite kinds. They’re usually really gentle on the skin and good for a second/morning cleanse (which is what I use them for, obviously). I walked into Wellness Warehouse and saw the Environ stand. They were having a sale on Environ products and I ummed and ahhed before walking out without buying a thing. Then I remembered a family friend is an Environ reseller, so I got hold of her, and I got it really discounted so I bought two, as you do. The only con I have with this stuff is that I go through it SO quickly. No idea why! It’s not smaller than most cream cleansers, and I don’t use more than I normally did. Very odd!
- Lush Catastrophe Cosmetic Fresh Face Mask – I kept this for WAY longer than the date on the tub. I really really liked this. It made my skin look so much less red when I used it. I’d definitely try this again. The only thing I’m not keen on is that it needs to be kept in the fridge (and it’s limited best before date). While the fridge makes it very cooling on the skin, I share a fridge and I worry that people are fiddling with it. Sometimes I’d find it in the oddest places in the fridge, too. People!
- Sorbet Salon Skin 3-in-1 Micellar Cleansing Water – I bought this one specifically because it had a salon pump top. I have a lot of thoughts on this product. The micellar solution itself – can’t stand it. It leaves my skin sticky and is heavily fragranced. I also found that if I didn’t have my cotton round securely pressed over the pump, the liquid would squirt in all directions. I got the hang of it, but it just means you have to be very specific about how you use the pump/cotton pad. I am considering refilling this container with something else.
That’s it for now!