I’m not a capsule wardrobe sort of girl. In all honesty, I’d love to be but if I had to take a good look at what’s currently in my cupboard and remove all my overly worn/should be tossed due to holes, etc clothing, I’d probably be left with very little.
Then, if I had to assess what’s left and donate some, toss some and keep the rest, I’d probably have to pitch up at work naked at least once a week. Realistically, I don’t think many of us have the funds to replace everything at once, or replace them with the key expensive/quality pieces we’d really truly like.
That being said, I’ve got better at just buying things. There have been a few moments where I’ve hesitated buying something because do I really need it, then gone back to get it because its played on my mind and then realised no longer available. It’s a thin line, people!
Lately I’ve been thinking about some things I really do need to stock up on, so I thought I’d post a list as a reminder to myself. I like having a list somewhere – it keeps me on track!
- Prescription sunglasses – I’m blind. I don’t wear contacts. I’ve been squinting in the sun way too long. Always buy out of season, right?
- Raincoat – I’m not talking about those flimsy things you had when you were at school. More like something that is substantial, looks decent (like part of your outfit) and will keep you super dry. I’m thinking something from K-Way
- Boots – I’ve been wearing a pair of Pick n Pay boots for the past 2 years. They have finally died. I’d really like to invest in a pair of leather boots. I do have two pairs of docs though – one pair knee high (zip needs replacing) and one ankle boot BUT the ankle boot (preferred style right now) is seriously hard on my feet. I haven’t been able to “walk them in” as the leather is so goddamned tough. I have tried everything under the sun to soften it but I just can’t. Anyone have any suggestions? I think I may just need to consider something softer.
- Blazer – Believe it or not…I don’t own one of these. I like to think a black blazer can dress up any outfit. I want to maybe get one in ponte fabric…it’s a little more forgiving.
- Trusty scarf – I need a black scarf. Something that will go with every outfit (or most of them). Silk, wool, whatever. I just need one. I wanted to wear one this morning but I didn’t have anything that would go with my outfit (blue and white striped breton thing, dark blue jeans, black boots)
- Bras – More of them please. I recently just bought two Panache Sculptresse bras from Amazon (never again) and damn people, don’t underestimate a good bra. I want more. Stat. PS: why are large cup bras so expensive and like the mystical fucking unicorn? I guess I’ll be making friends with eBay or Storm in A-G Cup…
Leopard print flats – I want. They’re outrageous. I just want.There was so much drama around getting these but finally…finally…I got a pair of Dune Hero’s in leopard print on sale for R900 (22 August 2016!)
- Pair of leather sandals – I have my eye on a pair from Jane Sews (I can’t choose between brick or black). I also want a pair of their loafers.
- Wide brimmed floppy hat (black, felt?) – #palegingerproblemz
Other stuff I want but can wait:
- Denim jacket – I have always wanted one of these. I’m keen to see if it would work with my style. I’m not entirely sure if this a MUST HAVE, but I’d like to try one on anyway, and decide from there.
- Leather jacket – Same as above. Being bigger, things aren’t always available in your size and don’t always fit in the same way. Okay let me take that back… We all have a body shape that at some stage in our lives doesn’t really work with certain types or cuts of clothing. Maybe I’ll stumble upon one that will work. This is definitely an investment piece though, so I think I’d rather wait until my I’m in a space weight/shape-wise where I’m happy enough to commit to something long-term. This looks amaze. Seriously. And so does this…
Cashmere jersey – there’s a stunning grey one at Poetry that I’d die to own BUT it’s like R1600 or something (HAAAAAA). Okay, I shouldn’t be laughing cos we all know cashmere is fucking expensive, but hey, this is a wishlist after all. Also, I can’t be trusted with cashmere. Seriously. If it doesn’t wash well, it’s doomed.Scrap that. No cashmere for me.
- Black dress – I don’t own one. Not even one dress. Actually, fun fact: I don’t own anything longer than a pair of pants. No 3/4s, no shorts, no bathing costumes, no skirts and no dresses. The search for the perfect LBD is a goddamn struggle, people.